Friday, October 4, 2019

Sickle Cell Retinopathy: #Memoirs of a Warrior#

My ordeal with Sickle Cell Retinopathy was a frightening one. I had gotten used to the occasional bouts of pain in my joints. And  Whether it was mild or severe,my mantra for each crisis was and remains : "This too shall soon pass".

Many doctors considered me an interesting patient because I'm often vivacious,  loquacious and full of an infectious positive vibe that the pain would go away sooner than later . But this time it was different...


It started one Friday in the office when I felt like something got into my eyes. I went to the bathroom to wash the affected eye in a bid to get out the dirt but without any luck. I sought the help of a colleague  to look into my eye and she affirmed that there was nothing in it. 

An hour later, I discovered that I could barely see with the affected eye and I started to panic...By the next morning, the eye was inflamed and I looked like a battered woman. 

I ran off to the closest eye hospital where I was diagnosed with uvieties but the young doctor who appeared a tad confused, together with some medication gave me an appointment to see his boss, the Consultant opthatmologist, on the Tuesday that followed.

By the appointed Tuesday, the vision in both eyes had worsened and I started to really feel sick in my entire body... I was admmitted in the hospital for a Visoclusive Crisis but this time it didn't feel like it will pass soon, it felt like paralysis; the fear of completely losing my sight paralysed my mind. 

Meanwhile, We (My dad and husband) visited the consultant as required and a proper diagnosis was given...

After a couple of tests, an urgent vitrectomy in d left eye and a laser in the right was necessary. I was referred to the best eye clinic were the procedures could be done(Eye Foundation Ikeja) yet the doctors would not guarantee that my vision will be restored. I was  scared to death...

The multitude of factors responsible for the fear cannot be put in words but in the midst of the storm, I did not loose my faith. 

I'm thankful for a faithfilled marriage to the most outstanding husband in the world, I'm thankful for amazing siblings, parents, friends, family and a good Church too..

The much needed support received from the aforelisted strengthened my faith and I began to feel better in my body.

My mantra,  This too shall soon pass came back to life as the vivacious Wunmi returned. I talked and laughed more and I looked even more closely at everyone, especially my children, just in case I was visually not going to  see them again, and in my closet I cried more.... It was a really scary time....very scary.

One month after a succesful sugery in the left eye. The same symptoms started in the right.  The Right eye had been Lasered, yet the  vision became really blurry. 

My first reaction was  "Oh  no, not again!" but I was not half as frightened as I was the first time, for, this time, I knew exactly what was going on and I knew what to do.

In the words of my doctor, Conservative Management of the eye started and is  still on going...

I have deliberately left out the medical  explanations but it is hoped that  every warrior reading this would get curious enough to read up on Sickle cell Retinopathy. Indeed, Knowledge is  Power.  

Most Importantly, ensure you have an eye examination as often as practicable and of course, Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! The more water you drink the better for YOU.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment