Thursday, August 9, 2012

Big Brother Nigeria!

I read the most absurd headline of the year with awe and anger: “FG to send Soldiers to fight Islamists in Mali” I still tried to console myself by complaining about journalist and the way they couch headlines. But alas, this wasn’t about a journalist trying to couch a catchy headline. This was a fact! I held The Punch Newspaper of July 30 20012 very firmly not sure whether I was going to tear it or just toss out of the window. In vexatious curiosity however, I read on….
“Nigeria is committed to resolving the crisis in Mali especially as President Jonathan is a co-mediator in the crisis…” per Reuben Abati (Spokesperson to the President) Chai! Chineke! Kai! Egbami! I suddenly became multilingual. Mr. Abati’s explanation agitated me all the more! Goodness me! Isn’t it only a confused man that would leave his burning house to put out the fire in his neighbor’s! Or was I the confused one. Perhaps I do not have sufficient understanding of the workings of the international community. After all, I merely have just a diploma in International Affairs….so I’m perhaps just ignorant!
The Picture of my lecturer in the year 2003 struggling to convince us that Nigeria remained the Big Brother of Africa flashed through my mind. I remember us (my classmates) questioning the ‘Bigbrotherness’ of Nigeria and comparing Nigeria with countries like Ghana and SouthArica. This is 2012 and even the blind can see that these nations have fared better than Nigeria in every way!
In trying to rid myself of  ignorance, I embarked on a research on Nigeria’s foreign policy and  behold, I found that Africa  is not the center point of Nigeria’s foreign policy(a moot point though) What then is the most reasonable basis for our President’s brotherly intervention?  Can someone please tell me I’m ignorant and I just don’t understand? Can someone please make me understand!!!! Isn’t this a clear case of misplaced priority? Isn’t it all the more apparent that our President/ government is confused?
For goodness sake attacks by the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, intensifies by the day and yet!!!!! How on earth can we have a pending security issue which our troops have not been able to curtail and the government still seeks to send troops to another country to quell a similar insurgence!   
Whew! Can this government vex me more than this! I’m yet to get over the way and manner they purported to change the name of my Alma Mata (The great University of Lagos), the Oteh imbroglio and even the entire oil subsidy brouhaha and now this!!!!!!
I can only wish that like Moses was shunned in the bible when he attempted to settle a rift between two Israelites, Mali would also tell Nigeria to mind her business!!!! And Yes! I’m Christian and I should only pray and not curse my country or the government because ‘every government is ordained by God’ says the Holy book… Elmmm! True! Lord, I’m sorry … but please intervene quickly before the president vexes me again…quickly Lord please…
Meanwhile, on a lighter note, though I never watched the Big Brother Africa game show (I think it’s crap), It’s the news that South Afrrica’s representative won! Now tell me; who is the Big Brother still? Smile* I join the world to say Congrats Keagan! Three Hundred Thousand US Dollars no be small thing! Chuckle*
Omoaderoba.

No comments:

Post a Comment